Transition Your Skin From Summer To Fall
With fall in full swing (hello PSL), it’s time to talk skin. The fall season brings cooler weather and a drop in humidity, which makes for dry air and even more dehydrated skin.
There are a few measures you can make to ensure you have a smooth transition into your new skincare regimen:
1) Avoid Hot Showers: Long, hot showers feel great, but they're detrimental to your skin. Showering in hot water during the winter months not only dries out the skin but also can damage the surface of the skin. Stick to shorter luke-warm showers when the weather starts to get colder, so you aren’t robbed of the natural oils, fats, and proteins that keep skin healthy.
2) Up Your Exfoliation: As the days become colder, it can lead to drier skin. Dry skin makes your body work overtime to create more oil. This additional oil can cause clogged pores. You must use an exfoliant in the fall to remove dead skin. In addition to exfoliating products that you can purchase in our office, consider a microdermabrasion facial or a chemical peel for that extra skin help & TLC that you deserve.
3) Use a Richer Moisturizer: Say goodbye to your lightweight moisturizer you’ve been applying all summer. It’s time to lather on a heftier hydrator. Our clinic recommends a heavy cream made with ceramides, which are the essential and healthy fatty acids that occur naturally in the skin but need to be replenished during the colder months. Our top product pick: Triple Lipid Restore 2:4:2. Experience the nourishing power of ceramides found in SkinCeuticals Triple Lipid Restore 2:4:2. Lipid molecules found in this product help to increase skin hydration and promote optimal barrier function.
4) Hydrate Consistently: It's just as important to stay hydrated during the colder seasons as it does in the summer. Unfortunately, the cooler temperatures can trick you into thinking you are just fine not drinking enough water. Cold temperatures can reduce the body’s thirst sensation up to 40%. For our staff to stay accountable, each team member purchased our favorite water bottle and will be drinking the right amount of water daily for our bodies. We are asking YOU to join us. Challenging ourselves is fun, but doing it together is BETTER. This fall and winter stop to think, is it time to drink?
5) Invest In a Humidifier: Do you struggle with very dry skin in the fall? Invest in a humidifier in your bedroom to balance your skin's moisture levels. It will also keep your skin looking younger longer!
6) Don’t Forget About Your Lips: Don't forget about your lips in the fall. Your lips are the only part of your skin that doesn't have oil glands or pores. That makes them so much more likely to dry out. PCA's hyaluronic acid lip booster would be the perfect product to use to keep them from drying out and getting chapped.
7) Wear Sunscreen in All Seasons: We know wearing sunscreen in the summer is important, but did you know you should continue that habit of lathering up throughout fall and winter? Up to 80% of the sun's UV rays can pass through clouds. Wear an SPF of 30 or higher on your face, neck & hands no matter what the weather may be. We love Elta MD UV Elements, which has hyaluronic acid to hydrate skin but still has a matte finish with a universal tint.
Rather than waiting for the cold before you adapt your skincare routine, we hope you can use these seven tips to protect your skin from new weather changes NOW.